Jointly presented by Manitoba Bar Association and the Law Society of Manitoba
Presenters, Claire Farid and Justice Joan MacPhail, will discuss the Act to amend the Divorce Act, the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act and the Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act, 2019, c. 16.
Most of the Divorce Act amendments in the legislation will come into force on July 1, 2020.
Ms. Farid will discuss these amendments, including:
- Change in terminology from “custody” and “access” to “parenting”;
- Best interests of the child;
- Family violence;
- New duties for parents, legal advisers and the court;
- Changes related to jurisdiction, for example the new interjurisdictional support process; and
- Amendments to the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act to allow for the release of income tax information from the Canada Revenue Agency for the purpose of establishing or varying support.
Justice MacPhail will discuss transitional issues and considerations for pending and new proceedings, including:
- Status of Rules’ amendments and updated standard clauses;
- Evidence; and
The Honourable Madam Justice Joan MacPhail, Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division
Claire Farid, Director and General Counsel, Family, Children & Youth Section, Justice Canada
Eligibility For CPD Hours:
This program may be reported for up to hours of eligible 3 CPD activity, including 0.5 hours of EPPM.
Lawyer: $155.00 (plus GST) per registrant
Student: $77.50 (plus GST) per registrant – 50% Discount