Canadian Lawyer Mobility

Temporary Practice in Manitoba

Most Canadian law societies, including Manitoba, now recognize the credentials of Canadian lawyers wherever they were admitted to practise in Canada. For more information see the Federation of Law Societies of Canada National Mobility Agreement.

No Permit Required

If you are a practising lawyer in any common law province in Canada, you may practise in Manitoba for up to 100 days a year, without a permit from the Law Society of Manitoba if, at all times:

  • You are a practising lawyer in your home jurisdiction
  • You carry liability insurance that:
    • is reasonably comparable in coverage and limits to that in Manitoba
    • extends to your temporary practice in Manitoba
  • you have defalcation compensation coverage that extends to your temporary practice in Manitoba
  • you are not subject to conditions or restrictions on your practice or membership in any jurisdiction
  • you are not the subject or criminal or disciplinary proceedings in any jurisdiction
  • you have no disciplinary record in any jurisdiction
  • you have not established an economic nexus in Manitoba.

An economic nexus will be established if you:

  • provide legal services beyond 100 days
  • open an office in Manitoba from which you offer or provide legal services
  • become a resident in Manitoba
  • open or operate a trust account in Manitoba
  • hold yourself out as willing or qualified to practise law in Manitoba, except as a visiting lawyer
  • conduct yourself in a manner that is inconsistent with providing legal services on a temporary basis.


Permit Required

You will need to apply for a permit to practise law temporarily in Manitoba if:

  • you are a practising lawyer in Quebec, Nunavut, Northwest Territories or Yukon
  • you do not meet the requirements to practise law temporarily without a permit
  • you intend to practise beyond 100 days in a calendar year
  • you wish to practise in Manitoba pending consideration of a transfer application.

No application fee is required unless your home jurisdiction charges such a fee, in which case the fee will be in the same amount that is charged by your home jurisdiction.

The Chief Executive Officer may issue a permit, subject to any conditions and restrictions considered to be appropriate, if it is consistent with the public interest to issue a permit.

Permanent Transfer to Manitoba

If you are a practising lawyer in any common law province or territory in Canada, you may be called to the Bar and admitted as a solicitor in Manitoba if:

  1.  You have familiarized yourself with Manitoba Law to the extent necessary to be able to practice law competently in the areas in which you will practice, including the materials in the Professional Responsibilities section of the Law Society Education Centre website
  1. At least 30 days prior to your anticipated start date, you submit:
    • Application for Admission – Canadian Lawyers
    • Application fee ($945.00) see accepted payment methods
    • Confirmation Certificate(s) of good standing has been requested, from every jurisdiction in which you have had membership at the time of this application, with instructions to send certificates directly to The Law Society of Manitoba.
    • Proof of insurance or insurance exemption
  2. You remit your annual practising fee and liability insurance contribution.(For the exact amount, contact Sandra Alleyne | Chief Financial Officer at 204-926-2054 or

If you are a practising lawyer in Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut, you are not permitted to practise temporarily prior to your call to the bar due to the absence of coverage for misappropriation or conversion.

Canadian Legal Advisor

Quebec Lawyers

You may apply to practise in Manitoba as a Canadian Legal Advisor if you:

  • Are a member in good standing of the Barreau du Quebec
  • Are authorized to practise in Quebec
  • Maintain full, mandatory professional liability insurance coverage that extends to your practise in Manitoba
  • Have earned a Bachelor degree in civil law in Canada or a foreign degree and certificate of equivalency from the Barreau du Quebec; and
  • Your legal practice is restricted to:
    • Giving legal advice on the law of Quebec and matters involving the law of Quebec
    • Matters under federal jurisdiction
    • Matters involving public international law.