Lawyer Mobility

Mobility for Canadian Lawyers

If you are a practising Manitoba lawyer, you may practise in any common law province in Canada for up to 100 days a year, without a permit from that Law Society if, at all times:

  • You are a practising lawyer in Manitoba
  • You carry liability insurance that:
    • is reasonably comparable in coverage and limits to the insurance provided in that jurisdiction
    • extends to your temporary practice in that jurisdiction
  • you have defalcation compensation coverage that extends to your temporary practice in that jurisdiction
  • you are not subject to conditions or restrictions on your practice or membership in any jurisdiction
  • you are not the subject of criminal or disciplinary proceedings in any jurisdiction
  • you have no disciplinary record in any jurisdiction
  • you have not established an economic nexus in that jurisdiction.

An economic nexus will be established if you:

  • provide legal services beyond 100 days
  • open an office in that province from which you offer or provide legal services
  • become a resident in that province
  • open or operate a trust account in that province
  • hold yourself out as willing or qualified to practise law in that province, except as a visiting lawyer
  • conduct yourself in a manner that is inconsistent with providing legal services on a temporary basis.

You will need to apply for a permit to practise law temporarily outside of Manitoba if:

  • you wish to practise in Quebec, Nunavut, Northwest Territories or Yukon
  • you do not meet the requirements to practise law temporarily without a permit
  • you intend to practise beyond 100 days in a calendar year
  • you wish to practise in that jurisdiction pending consideration of a transfer application.

For further information on the rules, requirements and fees, you should contact the Law Society of that jurisdiction directly.

If it is consistent with the public interest to issue a permit, one may be issued by the Chief Executive Officer, subject to any conditions and restrictions considered to be appropriate.

For additional questions, please see the: