Creating an Indigenous Advisory Committee (IAC)
The Law Society of Manitoba’s Indigenous Advisory Committee was created to help guide the Law Society in its ongoing response to the TRC’s Calls to Action. The Honourable Murray Sinclair, appointed as the inaugural Chair of the Committee and its appointed members begin its work in 2021. The Committee will:
- Provide advice and feedback to the Law Society on its educational programs with regard to the potential for cultural bias, as well as actions aimed at increasing cultural competency within the profession.
- Aid the Law Society in addressing the unique needs and perspectives of Indigenous peoples within the Law Society’s regulatory processes.
- Provide advice and guidance to the Law Society generally on how it should prioritize its work in this area. This will include acting as a resource and providing feedback on program initiatives and engagement related to supporting Indigenous lawyers and students.
- Provide advice and support to the Law Society in effectively engaging and building further relationships with Indigenous peoples.
- At the request of the benchers or the Law Society Executive, provide advice or recommendations on other issues affecting Indigenous peoples within the legal system.